During the time you are on OPT, you are still considered to be in F-1 status and must continue to report certain information to Student Services so we can update your SEVIS record.  All changes in your name, address, or employment must be updated WITHIN 10 DAYS of the change.

It is very important that employment information be reported in a timely manner.  Failure to do so could make it appear that you have accrued too much unemployment and so have violated your immigration status.

You must report changes in any of the following information by filling out the OPT Employment Information form or Address Update form, each time your situation changes:

1. Your legal name

2. Your address

3. Your initial employment during OPT.  You must report all employment during OPT, so if you have more than one job, you must give us information on each job you hold.

4. Any subsequent changes in employment during your period of OPT.

5. A pending/waitlisted/approved H1-B petition.  If your employer files an H1-B petition on your behalf, you may be eligible for a Cap-Gap I-20.

6. An approved change of status to another visa status within the U.S.

7. Departure from the U.S. before the end date of your OPT.  If you decide not to use your OPT and depart from the U.S, you MUST tell Student Services so your SEVIS record can be completed.

Please use the following links to update your address or OPT employment information:
San Francisco: OPT Employment Information Update Form

San Francisco: Address Update

Here is a quick reminder of the main things you need to do in order to maintain your status during OPT:

  • You are only allowed a total of 90 days of unemployment during OPT.  EACH day you do not have a job, including weekends and holidays, counts towards your unemployment total.
  • Your job must be directly related to your field of studies and you must work at least 20 hours per week.
  • If you have more than one job, EACH job you have must be related to your field of studies and at an appropriate level for someone with a Master’s degree.
  • Types of acceptable employment situations include regular paid employment, paid internships, work for hire/contract work, self-employed business owner, volunteer/unpaid internships (as long as it complies with all labor laws).
  • No matter the type of employment, you should always keep documentation of your dates of employment, the number of hours per week you worked, your job title and description, and your supervisor’s contact information so you can prove that you have maintained your status.  Your employer should also be keeping track of this same information.

Questions? Student Services hosts webinars about OPT, so keep your eyes out for emails with information about the date and time of the next webinar.  You may also email Student Services at student.services.sanfrancisco@hult.edu with any questions related to OPT or other aspects of your F-1 status.


If you would like to find out more about Hult’s global business programs, download a brochure here.

Hult offers a range of highly skills-focused and employability-driven business school programs including a range of MBA options and a comprehensive one year Masters in International Business. To find out more, take a look at our blog Student perspective: Adjusting to life abroad and how I knew Hult was right for me. Download a brochure or get in touch today to find out how Hult can help you to learn about the business world, the future, and yourself.