“Could I work here (in the US, UK, or UAE) after graduation?” If you asked yourself this question and weren’t sure of the answer, you’ve come to the right place. Our expert visa teams, located on every Hult campus, know exactly what international students need to do to get themselves in the best possible position to secure a work visa after graduation. Read on for the handy guide they’ve put together to help you put your plans in motion, depending on your target country.  

Getting a work visa in the UK  

Top need-to-knows for securing a work visa in the UK 

  • Make sure that you have sufficient time to apply for the Graduate Immigration Route after completing your studies, especially if you are graduating later than the date indicated on your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).   
  • Attend Hult’s webinars for more information on the Graduate Immigration Route. Also, check out myHult and UKCISA 
  • Don’t plan any travel or go on any vacations before you make your application for the Graduate Immigration Route.  
  • Remember to submit your application while you have valid leave to be present in the UK.   

Frequently asked questions about UK work visas

What is the Graduate Immigration Route? 

The Graduate Immigration Route is an unsponsored route to work or seek work at any level in the UK. If successful, the visa will be issued for two years. 

 When can I apply for the Graduate Immigration Route? 

Apply once you have completed your degree. You will receive official confirmation of your degree completion from the registry and visa teams. The visa team will also confirm that eligibility requirements have been met and provide the CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number used for the Student/Tier 4 visa application. You will need this CAS number for the visa application. 

Do I need to wait for my final diploma? (Undergraduate) 

No, a copy of your diploma is not a requirement for the application. Hult will confirm your eligibility for the Graduate Immigration Route to the UKVI directly. 

Do I need to wait for my degree certificate? (Graduate) 

No, a copy of your postgraduate degree certificate is not required for the application. Hult will confirm your eligibility for the route to the UKVI directly. 

Can I apply outside of the UK? 

No, you can only apply if you are in the UK and while you have valid leave i.e., you must apply for the Graduate Immigration Route before your Student/Tier 4 visa expires. 

How long is the visa processing time? 

The processing time of a visa varies and is outside of Hult’s control. 

Getting a work visa in the UAE  

Top need-to-knows for securing a work visa in the UAE 

  • You will be eligible for an employment visa if you have secured a full-time job in the UAE. Start searching early for an employer who could sponsor you after graduation. 
  • If you don’t find sponsorship, you will need to leave the country on the last day of your grace period.  
  • You can work remotely from the UAE for one year on the Remote Work Visa. This visa type falls under self-sponsorship.   

Frequently asked questions about UAE work visas

Can I work while I’m on a Student Residence visa? 

No, you are not authorized to work while you are on a Student Residence Visa. 

What support is there after graduation? 

You will receive support for up to three months after graduation from the careers team at Hult.  

What is a Business Visa? 

The Business Visa is a long-term visa. If you provide evidence of having entrepreneurial experience, you may be eligible to apply for a Business Visa. 

Getting a work visa in the US


Top need-to-knows for securing a work visa in the US 

  • Attend workshops hosted by Hult’s visa teams that focus on US work authorization like Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), and STEM OPT.  
  •  Always check in with the visa team when you are considering any type of work—paid or unpaid.  
  • Your ability to do OPT and STEM OPT depend on whether you complete a Hult program at a US campus, so study hard! 
  • If you’re completing a STEM degree, focus on work opportunities specific to that field. 
  • Attend the CPT, OPT, and STEM OPT sessions presented by the visa team to understand timelines, application requirements, and expectations for US work authorization. 

Frequently asked questions about US work visas

When can I arrive in the US? 

You can enter the US up to 30 days before your program start date. Your program start date is indicated on Form I-20, which you’ll receive from your visa coordinator. Your I-20 also shows the date you’re allowed to enter the US as a student. 

How long can I stay in the US after my course has finished? 

An F-1 student visa allows you to stay in the US for up to 60 days beyond the end date of your course. To remain in the US for more than 60 days, you will need to enroll in a higher degree course (for example, going from an undergraduate degree to a master’s or MBA program) or apply to change your visa status. Your visa coordinator can answer any questions you may have about continuing your studies and the related visa requirements. If you’re eligible, you may be able to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which will allow you to remain in the US to work for up to 12 months after graduation. 

Can I work or do an internship while I’m on an F-1 student visa? 

Students entering the US on an F-1 student visa must be enrolled for a full academic year before they can be authorized for a degree-related internship. Off-campus jobs for extra income or working remotely for companies abroad are not permitted while on an F-1 student visa. When students have met the eligibility criteria for internships, they will work with the visa team and the career team to secure Curricular Practical Training (CPT). 

What is OPT? 

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a type of work authorization that allows F-1 students to work in the US for 12 months after graduation to gain experience related to their field of study.  

OPT is available to F-1 students who have been in the US for one full academic year. For graduate students, one full academic year means enrollment as a full-time student in the US for both fall and spring terms. Students will work closely with the US visa team to determine OPT eligibility and when to apply for OPT.  

OPT applications are processed by USCIS and take approximately 90 days. Once your OPT application has been processed, your final approval notice is an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. This is a plastic card that provides proof that you have legal work authorization in the US. You can remain in the US while you wait for your OPT approval and EAD card. 

If you are enrolled in the Master’s in Business Analytics (MSBA) program or the Master’s in Finance (MFIN), you could be eligible for a two-year STEM OPT extension upon the completion of your first 12 months of OPT. More details regarding eligibility and process will be provided at STEM OPT workshops during the school year. 

If you haven’t started your Hult journey yet and still looking for a school where you can grow your career and do business every day, then download our brochure to find out more about our programs.