Post-Study Work Visa Support

Do you want to stay and work in the US or UK, after you complete your studies? With years of experience helping international students, our visa and compliance team can support you, no matter where you’re from.



Experts dedicated to your success

Our expert teams, located on every Hult campus, know exactly what international students need to do to get themselves in the best possible position to secure work authorization after graduation.

Hult High School Challenge Icon

Career Services

Get the tools and skills to strongly position yourself in the local job market, targeted job-search support, and advice on how to maximize your work authorization.

Visa & Compliance

Access practical, personalized visa support at every stage of the process—from securing your student visa to applying for work authorization and beyond.

Work visa options for graduates in the US and UK

Visa policies and processes differ according to country and program. We have experts in every region, at every campus to help you navigate the complexities.

Working in the United States

Every year, approximately 700,000 international students come to the United States to study. Every single one must apply for and receive the F-1 student visa in their passport before coming to the US. Once international students have graduated, they can apply for US work authorization known as “Optional Practical Training” or “OPT.”


Hult Master's in Boston

What is OPT?

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a type of work authorization that allows F-1 students to work in the US for 12 months after graduation to gain experience related to their field of study.

When can I arrive in the US?

You can enter the US up to 30 days before your program start date. Your program start date is indicated on Form I-20, which you’ll receive from your visa coordinator. Your I-20 also shows the date you’re allowed to enter the US as a student.

How will Hult support me on OPT or STEM OPT?

All of Hult’s international students benefit not only from support of the visa team but also from Hult’s careers team. Evidence clearly shows that those students who sought advice from both teams, consistently during their degree program, are those who are most successful. Learning how to navigate the US employment landscape and understanding how to communicate your own value to a US employer is the key to securing a job that meets or exceeds your professional aspirations.

Working in the United Kingdom

International students who have completed a degree in the UK are eligible for the Graduate Immigration Route, which is a two-year work authorization.

What is the Graduate Route?

The Graduate Route is an unsponsored route to work or seek work, at any level, in the UK. If successful, visas are granted for a period of 2 years.

When can I apply for the Graduate Immigration Route?

Apply once you have completed your degree. You will receive official confirmation of your degree completion from the registry and visa teams. The visa team will also confirm that eligibility requirements have been met and provide the CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number used for the Student/Tier 4 visa application. You will need this CAS number for the visa application.

Can I extend my student visa while I’m in the UK?

Yes, as we are a Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance. This means you can apply to extend your student visa leave to study with Hult, for example, to do your master’s following your bachelor’s degree or with another sponsor.

What our students say

The benefits of having done OPT are numerous. It has allowed me to gain valuable professional experience in the US and build my career in a way that I would never have been able to do without it. It has also given me the opportunity to make contacts and network with professionals in my industry.

Jakob Gaard



I experienced multiple campuses, regions, and cultures all around the world. This firsthand experience really helped me understand different aspects of international business.

Pranav Chheda


Class of 2018


of international students at US campuses gained employment in the US


of Hult graduates are working in a different country than their country of origin


companies hired Hult 2022 graduates across 33 countries

Which campus will you call home?

Choose one of our centrally located home campuses to study your core program in, establish your network, and make career connections.

Download Brochure

Download a brochure for an in-depth look at Hult’s undergraduate program.

Upcoming events

Register to attend one of our many Hult events, ranging from global webinars to virtual campus visits.

  • Boston Virtual Open House: March 23

  • London Virtual Open House: March 23

Application Deadline

June 1, 2024

Our enrollment advisors will be ready to support you throughout the process.

Take the BBA QuizQuiz Button 1350 x 468.jpg